A Practice is Born
The Panorama Pediatric Group got its start in 1959 when two pediatric residents from Strong Memorial Hospital, Dr. Albert Scheiner and Dr. Neal McNabb, finished two years of service in the Air Force and came back to Rochester to open a private practice. That first office was at 1669 Old Penfield Road, just east of Panorama Trail, and then briefly moved down the street to 1640 Old Penfield Road. In 1961 a third fellow pediatric resident, Dr. James MacWhinney, joined the practice, and those three original partners built a new office at 675 Panorama Trail that would be home to Panorama Pediatrics for the next three decades.
At the Panorama Trail office, the practice continued to grow and break new barriers. In 1968 the practice became one of the first in the nation to employ nurse practitioners, working with the University of Rochester to study the acceptability of this new kind of health professional. Those original three nurse practitioners were Lois Davis, Nancy Hare, and Alice Leddy, and they unequivocally demonstrated the value of nurse practitioners in pediatric practice.
Another barrier, the gender barrier, was broken in 1973 when Dr. Suzanne Klein became the first female pediatrician at Panorama Pediatrics. That trend would continue to this day, such that two-thirds of our current pediatricians at Panorama are now female.
Panorama Pediatrics has always prided itself in being there for its patients whenever they need it. In the early years, that was through the now nearly-extinct "house call". As the practice grew, this became supplanted by meeting patients at the office after hours when necessary; with continued growth, it was then decided in 1987 to institute regular evening office hours throughout the week.
In 1992, the group had once again grown out of its location, and moved to its current location at 220 Linden Oaks, doubling the space of the previous office.
Looking to the Future
In the new millenium, Panorama Pediatric Group has continued to stay at the cutting edge of medical care. In 2004, the practice became one of the first in the area to convert to electronic medical records. In 2014, with the early 90's decor starting to look dated and faded, the group undertook a major renovation, refreshing the decor but also adding dedicated laboratory space and areas for integrated behavioral health providers. Reconfiguring the space also allowed us to add examination rooms and a dedicated teen waiting area. We look forward to what is to come!